What is #givingtuesday? It is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving.
We here at Stafford Animal Shelter thought it was a good day to highlight our mission and recap our services that make us most proud to be the only nonprofit animal care facility in Park County!
- We are an “open door” shelter and accept every pet in need: abandoned, lost or homeless. We do not turn down animals based on history, health, disability, breed or age including abandoned newborn litters.
- Once an animal is up for adoption, we have no restriction on their length of stay with us and we will keep them as long as it takes to find a them a home regardless of space.
- We are the only Shelter in the area that accepts all domesticated pets; not just dogs and cats and we have a “zoo” where we adopt out all of our pocket pets and exotic critters like rabbits, guinea pigs, snakes, ferrets, hamsters, rats, fish, turtles, sugar gliders, finches, parrots, hedgehogs, iguanas and more.
- We work with local law enforcement and animal control to assist on cases and care for those confiscated for abuse, cruelty or running at large.
- Provide safe harbor for pets of domestic violence victims, those suffering from unforeseen emergencies, natural disasters or evacuations.
- We assist senior citizens and those experiencing financial hardships, through special earmarked funds, with veterinary care costs and pet supplies to avoid surrendering their beloved pets.
- We serve the people and pets of greater Southwestern Montana, not just Park County. Many adopters, surrenders and strays come from Gallatin, Sweet Grass, Meagher, Stillwater & Yellowstone Counties and we work with Great Falls and Butte to take in domesticated rabbits.
- We have partnerships with three Montana Indian Reservations and one in North Dakota and their local rescues to help take in dogs through our “Pure Bred Rez Dog Program” while they work to humanely decrease their overpopulation.
- Through our Animal Care Enrichment Program “Project Happiness” we continually strive to enhance the experience for our pets here with volunteer socialization, group play, outside yards and catios.
- We offer the public adoption counseling prior to choosing a pet, continuing behavior advice for adopters and the community as well as public dog obedience classes with our on-staff Canine Behaviorist.
- We house nearly a thousand animals each year with approximately half being reclaimed and half adopted.
- Every adoptable cat & dog is spayed or neutered, vaccinated, dewormed and microchipped prior to adoption.
- We receive no federal, state government or national organization support, we are almost completely funded on small donations from businesses and people just like you!
Our shelter is a reflection of our community, we hope you are as passionate about our mission as we are. Fundraising is a crucial part of what we do in order to keep our doors open & continue providing for the animals that we all love.
Please donate what you can with the link below, no amount is too small. #givingtuesday #staffordanimalshelter #thatsusinanutshell