Our Mission, Our Team, Our Impact & How You Can Help!
The Stafford Animal Shelter prevents animal distress by caring for displaced animals, facilitating adoptions and reunions, minimizing pet overpopulation and pioneering humane education & community outreach.
Stafford Animal Shelter is an open-door facility that accepts all pets in need regardless of age, species, breed or medical condition. We have no length of stay restrictions so animals are welcome with us until they find their forever homes. We accept every pet; abandoned or homeless, unwanted litters from unspayed and uneutered animals, and those confiscated from hoarding and cruelty cases. As the only nonprofit animal care facility in Park County, we serve the people and pets of the greater Southwestern Montana including Gallatin, Sweet Grass, Stillwater, Meagher, Fergus counties and beyond. We are the only shelter in the region that accepts all lost and unwanted domesticated pets in our "Zoo" where we can care for a wide range of animals from exotics, rabbits, birds, reptiles, rodents, fish, small mammals and more. We also serve as the care facility for at large animals, cruelty cases and emergencies for city and county officials and first responders. Of all the animals we take in, approximately half are reclaimed and half are adopted. Every cat, dog, kitten, puppy and rabbit are spayed or neutered, vaccinated and microchipped before being adopted out.
The Humane Society of Park County was founded in 1986 by area individuals dedicated to animal welfare who initially found homes for displaced pets and educated the public about the importance of spaying and neutering to reduce animal overpopulation. We became the Stafford Animal Shelter in 1999 when a 4,500-square-foot facility was completed with a generous donation from local, Frances Stafford, to house the community’s displaced pets. In 2009, a new cat wing was completed to more adequately house the community's many abandoned cats. In 2011, the dog wing was enhanced and the separate "Zoo" was built. In 2012 the Shelter expansion project - all funded by an anonymous grantor - was completed with the construction of a multi-purpose building to house rescues, hoarding populations & evacuation cases. Realizing the need for a truly infectious disease quarantine unit and raised, indoor/outdoor dog kennels, "The Bon K9 Rescue Center" was opened in 2016 in the existing multi-purpose building through a generous donation from the Bonnie Allchin. The Shelter now has the ability to properly isolate, house and help more incoming dogs. In June 2022 the entire shelter was destroyed by the devastating Yellowstone Flooding in Park County Montana. The building and contents were almost a total loss, but thankfully all the staff and animals were safely evacuated. The shelter, and most community members, did not have flood insurance so we embarked on a campaign to fundraise and rebuild the entire facility while staying open in a limited capacity to help others in need during that trying time for our town. We fully reopened to the public in our restored building in January of 2023 thanks to the generosity and financial planning of the past and present supporters.
Make a Difference For A Homeless Pet
We love working with the Livingston community, and we're happy to work with everyone who can help us improve the lives of our pets, maintain our facility or help at outreach events. Contact Christa Nelson our Director of Operations at Cnelson@staffordanimalshelter.org for information on various opportunities below:
- Dog Walker/Cat Cuddler: help our cats and dogs exercise and relieve stress. Stop by Wed-Sun from noon to 4:30 and spend a 1/2 hour with our animals. Remember to bring your ID! Dog walkers must be 16+. (Under 16 must be accomplished by a guardian).
- Odds 'n' Ends: Help us fold laundry, clean windows, craft items, sew blankets & various projects.
- Outdoor Maintenance: Weed, garden, shovel snow, fill bird feeders, care for our play yards etc.
- Foster Folks: Open your home to animals that need special socialization, sleepovers, a shelter stress break or round-the-clock medical care. Varying degrees of opportunities are available based on your experience.
- Group Volunteer Projects: We love corporate volunteer groups and school tours however, please note that we limit the number of group visits per month and the age of the participants due to the space in our shelter and staff availability. Please contact Christa to reserve a spot.
- RVSP: Retired Senior Volunteer Program opportunities are available, please reach out.
- High School or Court-Ordered Service Hours: We have special projects from time to time so feel free to email our Director of Operations and find out how you can help.
- Special Events & 3rd Party Fundraising: To help with annual events, party planning committees or fundraisers on our behalf, contact our Executive Director, Lauren Smith, Lsmith@staffordanimalshelter.org. (3rd Party Fundraising agreement and preapproval is needed in order to fundraise, represent or collect funds on behalf of Stafford Animal Shelter.)
Our staff is the heart of our organization & mission. They provide support, advocacy, physical and emotional well-being to the 1000+ animals and people we serve in Montana. Please thank them for their hard work when you see them!
Lauren Smith - Executive Director - Lsmith@staffordanimalshelter.org
Alicia Davis - Director of Administration - Adavis@staffordanimalshelter.org
Christa Nelson - Director of Operations - Cnelson@staffordanimalshelter.org
Dr. Julie Kappes DVM - Shelter Veterninarian
Nick Radovich — Canine Specialist - Dogtrainer@staffordanimalshelter.org
Liz Kever - Veterinary Assistant - Acts@staffordanimalshelter.org
Dale Fowler - Facilities Assistant
Animal Care Coordinators
Sarah Jane Lamb
Join Our Pack!
A Career That Makes A Difference
We are always interested in meeting people who want to develop careers in Animal Welfare.
Currently, we are hiring for Part Time and Full Time Animal Care Coordinators. Please click here for job description and link to the application. Then email the application and/or resume to: CNelson@staffordanimalshelter.org to apply.
Board of Directors
Sue Dailey - President
Nikki Fox — Vice President
Dr. Johanna Barney — Secretary
Andy Art — Board Member
Andy Art — Board Member
Darcy Cook - Board Member
Stephanie Cunningham - Board Member
Gwen Strachan - Board Member
Julimarie Wistey — Board of Directors Member
Julimarie Wistey — Board of Directors Member
The Animals We've Served
Our Impact on the Community
We keep a yearly count of the animals we've helped—we're incredibly proud to say that approximately half the animals we take in are reclaimed, and half are adopted. Download our 2021 count below.
Leaders of the Pack
- Chico Hot Springs Resort & Day Spa
Best in Show
$5,000 - $9,999
- PFL Spectec
- Yellowstone National Park Lodges
- Joanne Berghold Photography
- JTech Communications - Websites & Digital Marketing
Friend For Life
$3,000 - $4,999
- Small Dog Realty
- RX Coffee
$2.000 - $2,999
- Nevin's Glass
$500 - $999
- A.E. Noble & Associates
- Allied Storage
- Amazing Acres Pet Resort
- Arrowhead Electric
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Bozeman
- CEM Bookkeeping & Tax Services, Cat Moody
- Cilla Mae’s Old Fashioned Fudge
- City of Livingston
- Community Closet
- Cottonwood Veterinary Hospital
- Double T River Ranch
- East Main Liquor
- The Firehouse Gym – Big Timber
- Gardiner Market
- The Help Desk Livingston
- Livingston Home Outfitters
- Livingston Tree Lawn & Snow Removal
- Sky Federal Credit Union
- The Spur Line
- Tech Electric
- Yellowstone Appliance
Pick of the Litter
$1,000 - $1,999
- 49er Inc. – Diner, Bar & Casino
- American Bank Livingston
- Bridger Animal Nutrition
- Eyecare Professionals & Mountain Eyeware
- Hills Science Diet
- John P. Mabie CPA P.C.
- Jon Ellen Snyder – ERA Landmark Real Estate
- Mark’s In & Out
- The Obsidian Collection
- Raich Montana Properties
- Raney and Raney, Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
- Shane Lalani Center for the Arts
- Sibanye Stillwater
$250 - $499
- At Home on the Range Pet Cemetery
- B Bar Ranch
- Black Dog Rehab
- CN, LLC Bookkeeping
- Coffee Crossing
- Colmey Veterinary Hospital
- Copper Moose Oil & Vinegar
- Crown Creations Cabinetmakers
- Edward Jones, Stephanie Cunningham
- Elk River Art
- First West Insurance
- Graybeal’s All Service HVAC
- High Country Wildlife
- Insty Prints
- Livingston Ace Hardware
- Logan Auction Services
- Montana Farrier Supply
- Murdoch’s Home & Ranch Supply
- Neptune’s Brewery
- Oie Motor Company
- Outhouse Heating & Plumbing
- Simkins Hallin
- The Stockman
- Western Glass Company
- Wilson Hotel Big Sky
- Windy Way Rock Shop
- Yellowstone Physical Therapy
- Yellowstone Wolf Tracker
Tax Exempt & Financial Information
The Stafford Animal Shelter is a tax-exempt nonprofit organization EIN-36-3432468: Click to view our 501(c)(3) nonprofit designation letter. Click to view our Form 990. We are dedicated to financially sound accounting practices and transparent accountability. If you have additional questions, please reach out via our contact form.